Tuesday, July 21, 2009

'Tis so sad

Just a short post before I head off home. I was shocked by a very sad news today. My heart sank when I read the online news that author Frank McCourt died following a battle with skin cancer. The 78-year-old is best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning memoir Angela's Ashes, which recounted a childhood of extreme poverty in 1930s Limerick. He is one of my favourite authors! His books, Angela’s Ashes, ‘Tis and Teacher Man are brilliant, inspiring, full of wit and humour! His writings have never failed to entertain me with smiles & laughter (yup!) despite the horrible experiences he had to go through during his childhood days. He has a way of turning his life experiences into a witty piece of art. Truly gifted, intelligent & such an inspiration!

Rest in peace, Mr. Frank McCourt.

Some great & humourous quotes from his books:-

“If I were in America I could say "I love you, dad", the way they do in the films. But in Limerick they'd laugh at you. In Limerick you are only allowed to say you love God, and babies, and horses that win. Anything else is softness in the head.” – Frank McCourt (Angela’s Ashes)

“Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been a minute since my last confession.” – Young Frank (Angela’s Ashes)

"He says, you have to study and learn so that you can make up your own mind about history and everything else but you can’t make up an empty mind. Stock your mind, stock your mind. You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace." – Frank McCourt (Angela’s Ashes)

No comments:

Post a Comment